The Millennium Development Goals are goals which were set by the United Nations in the year 2000 in order to ultimately end world poverty by the year 2015. The Goals are:
1. Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
2. Achieve universal primary education
3. Promote gender equality and empower women
4. Reduce child mortality
5. Improve maternal health
6. Combat HIV/AIDs, malaria, and other diseases
7. Ensure environmental sustainability
8. Develop a global partnership for development
Unfortunately there many people who do not what these goals are which is quite sad. The main reason being that you can’t solve the problem alone, so if most people don’t even know the goals how are the goals going to be met by the set date. Despite this fact, it is pleasing to know that in fact some progress has been made. For instance: Ghana has decreased hunger by three quarters, in Ethiopia the number of people who were malnourished has decrease, and also child mortality rates have decreased in some countries.
It’s good to see this goals getting closer to being met, which is why it is important that we continue to make people aware about these goals!!